Last Modified: July 16, 2020
2. HOW WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
A. What Is Personal Information? Personal information refers to information that we can use to personally identify a specific individual. Different states and countries define personal information (and similar terms, such as personal data, personally identifiable information, and PII) to include different things, but it generally includes information like your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. It may also include your computer or mobile device IP address, if that IP address can be linked to a particular person, or geo-location information, again if that information can be used to pinpoint a specific person.
B. Providing Personal Information Is Your Choice. You are in control of whether you provide us with your personal information – you can visit and view the site without disclosing any personal information about yourself. However, if you choose to make use of certain features of the site, you may need to provide certain personal information to us. For example, if you want to create an account on our site, make a purchase, or review an item, you will need to provide certain mandatory personal information.
If you are not comfortable with providing information to us, you should not do so. Although that will affect our ability to communicate with you and provide you with products and services through the site, that is your choice. If you do provide us with any personal information, you agree that it will be accurate and complete, and you understand that it is your responsibility to update your personal information as necessary to keep it current.
C. The Personal Information We Collect. Below, we describe the categories of personal information we collect, our reasons for collecting that information, and how we use it. We present the information below based on the categories of information collected, but similar specific pieces of information may apply to multiple categories. For example, your name and email address may be included within each of the “Identification and Contact Information,” “Billing Information,” and “User-Provided Information” categories.
Identification and Contact Information
- This is information that identifies you as an individual (like your first and last name), and information that enables us to contact you (like your email address, mailing address, or phone number). It also may include information about you, such as information about products purchased and how you have interacted with our site.
- We will collect this information if you create an account on our site, if you sign up to receive our emails, newsletters, or other promotional materials, if you purchase products on our site, or if you participate in any interactive services or features our site may offer from time to time, such as our online chat feature and surveys. We will also be provided with your name and email address if you reach out to us using our “Get in touch” or any similar contact features of the site.
- We will collect this information directly from you if you create an account on our site by inputting or sending us your personal information. In addition, we may collect this information indirectly from a third-party account you maintain, if you use a “login with…” or similar button that we display on our site allowing you to use a third-party account, such as your Facebook or Google account, to log in.
- In addition, if we offer “refer-a-friend” or similar features, which allow our site visitors to invite friends to use our site by sending them an invitation email or message, we may receive information about you indirectly. Through this type of feature, we may collect the name, email address, and/or third-party account user name provided by your friend.
- We may also receive information indirectly if someone purchases a product on the site as a gift, which may require the purchaser to submit information about the recipient, including their name, mailing address, and phone number.
- We collect and use this information for the purposes of (a) verifying your identity when you create an account, make a purchase, or access certain features of our site; (b) managing and personalizing your experience on the site; (c) transacting business with you, which includes managing your account on our site, fulfilling orders, contacting you about your purchases, conducting customer service, providing you access to promotions and rewards, and seeking feedback on our products and services; (d) responding to any inquiry you send to us; (e) evaluating interest in our current products and services, and researching and evaluating potential new products and services; (f) evaluating and improving our product and service quality; (g) subject to your right to opt out and subject to applicable law, sending you newsletters and other promotional materials about services you may be interested in, and providing you relevant content; and (h) preventing and addressing fraud and breaches of our site requirements and policies.
- We will retain this information for as long as we continue to have a business need to do so (which will be at least as long as you continue to maintain an active account on the site or have an open purchase order pending), unless a longer period is required by law. Business needs include legal, taxation, accounting, risk management, and other business purposes. However, you are always permitted to opt-out of continuing to receive our newsletters.
- If you purchase products using our site, we will collect applicable billing information from you, such as credit card or bank account information, or, depending on payment options, information about your Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shopify Pay, or PayPal account). This information may be collected through one of our third-party service providers.
- We collect and use this information to process required payments.
- We will retain this information only as long as necessary to complete your purchase (including processing any return), unless you have opted to save your billing information in your account. If you do so, we will retain the information as long as you maintain this information in your registered account profile.
- If you participate in any interactive area of our site, such as by publishing a review of any products, commenting on blog posts, or participating in a survey, contest, or promotion, we will collect any personal information that you include as a part of your participation. The specific information collected will depend on the nature of your participation and submission but may include information such as your name and any images (photographs, etc.) you provide.
- We collect and use this information for the purpose of allowing our customers to engage with us and share information, so that others can benefit from your experience with our site and our products and services, and so that we can operate a platform that allows us to provide you with quality products, and allows our customers and others to learn more about our products and services.
- A Special Note About User-Generated Information. If you use interactive features of the site that allow you to post content on the site, such as a product review, that information will become public, and it will be able to be seen and republished by others for as long as the page remains active, and may be visible longer if pages are archived, screenshot, or cached. We are not responsible for the personal information you choose to post in this manner. We encourage you to think carefully before posting anything in any public area of our site, and only to post information that you are certain you want to be accessible to everyone.
D. Certain Generally-Applicable Uses of Personal Information. In addition to the specific uses described above, the personal information we collect may be used for the following additional purposes, all of which are related to our operation of our business and our provision of services:
- Managing and personalizing your experience on the site;
- Complying with legal requirements; and
- Preventing and addressing fraud and breaches of our site requirements and policies.
3. HOW AND WHY WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- We will provide personal information to our trusted service providers who need to use that information to conduct business on our behalf. For example, our service providers may:
- operate certain site features;
- power our online store;
- process payments made when you make purchases;
- fulfill orders and deliver products;
- handle our data management and newsletter and email distribution;
- assist us with, co-sponsor, or otherwise participate in any surveys, contests, events, and promotions; and/or
- assist us with understanding and evaluating site analytics data.
We provide these service providers only with the information they need to perform their services, and work with them to respect and protect your privacy.
- We may share your personal information with our company affiliates and business partners for our and their legitimate business purposes, including so that we or they may provide you with periodic mailings regarding products, services, or events. If you do not wish for us to share your information in this manner, please let us know by contacting us at email@example.com.
- We will release information, including personal information, if we believe that doing so is appropriate to (a) comply with law, regulations, legal process or governmental request, (b) enforce any policies applicable to the site, including potential violations, (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) otherwise protect the rights, property or personal safety of us, our employees, site users, or others.
- We may share information, including personal information, in connection with, during negotiations of, or as a part of the closing of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company in which personal information about the users of our site is among the assets transferred.
- We will share personal information with third parties for other purposes if we have your express “opt-in” consent to do so.
We do not sell, rent, or lease any personal information that we collect about you through the site to anyone for any purpose, other than as disclosed, unless you have given us your separate express permission to do so.
4. HOW WE COLLECT AND USE NON-PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
A. What Is Non-Personally Identifiable Information? Non-personally identifiable information, also called NPII, refers to information that is not and cannot be used to identify a specific individual. This may include information about the statistical characteristics of the visitors to our site. While this information may define how you fit into a particular group of people, it is not unique to you, and it cannot be used (without other information) to specifically identify you. This section describes how we collect and use non-personally identifiable information through the site.
B. How We Collect NPII. When you visit the site or interact with us electronically (such as through email), we may automatically collect standard internet and website log information, and details of patterns about how our site visitors behave. This information may include your internet service provider name, your operating system, your browser type and browser language, your access dates and times, the website that referred you to the site, the specific web pages you visit and the date and time of those visits, your search terms and queries, and links clicked as you visit the site. We may also use analytics tools that collect information about how the site is used, such as how often users visit our site, what pages they visit, and what other sites they use prior to visiting our site. More information about the technology and analytics services we use to automatically collect information is provided below under the heading “Cookies and other Tracking Technology.”
C. How We Use NPII. All of the NPII we collect may be used to understand our visitor and customer base, to gather broad demographic data for aggregate use, to conduct market research, to analyze trends, to develop products and services, to provide those products and services to other users and third parties.
5. COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
A. What Are Cookies? Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored on your browser, device, or the page you are viewing when you visit a website. Some cookies are deleted once you close your browser or application (session cookies), while other cookies are retained even after you exit so that you can be recognized when you return (persistent cookies). Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
- Mandatory/Essential cookies: These are cookies that are required for the operation of the site, such as cookies that enable you to log into secure areas.
- Functional cookies:These are cookies that remember choices that you make when you visit the site. They help to make your visit more personal and assist your navigation of the site.
- Analytics/Marketing cookies: These are cookies that automatically collect information about your use of the site, such as the pages you visit, and the links you followed. These help us recognize previous visitors to the site and understand how many people are using the site and how they navigate through it. As mentioned below, we use analytics services to analyze user behavior, so these third-party analytics providers will place these types of cookies on the site.
C. Other Tracking Technologies. We may also use “web beacons,” also called “tracking pixels,” “pixel tags,” or “single pixel/transparent/clear GIFs” on the site. These are clear electronic images that can recognize certain types of information on your computer, such as cookies, when you view a particular website tied to the beacon. These web beacons perform various functions, such as (a) compiling information about visitor usage of our site, site page views, and interaction with links on the site; (b) allowing us to send you emails in a format you can read; (c) notifying us when you have read an email, or when you click on a link in an email that directs you to our site. We use web beacons to help us analyze our users’ online behavior, operate and improve our site and our communications.
In addition, web beacons are used to allow ad networks to provide anonymized, aggregated auditing, research, and reporting for us and for advertisers. They also enable ad networks to serve targeted advertising to you when you visit other websites. Because your browser must request these web beacons from the ad network’s servers, the operators of these other websites can view, edit, or set their own cookies, just as if you had viewed a web page on their own website.
D. Analytics Services. As discussed above, our site may use analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, to collect information about the use of our site, so that we can understand our visitors’ online behavior. In these instances, the analytics service provider (such as Google) will be able to use and share information about your visits to and use of our site, and that service provider’s use and sharing will be governed by their privacy notice and online terms.
E. Your Choices About Tracking Technologies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies and other tracking technologies, but you can usually change your settings to prevent that, such as by having your device warn you each time a cookie is being sent or choosing to turn off all cookies. On our site, you will be able to disable all cookies other than mandatory cookies. This can be done through your web browser settings, and because each browser is different, you should look at your browser’s “Help” menu to learn how to modify your cookie settings. There are also online resources that may help you learn more about how targeted advertising works and how to opt out of targeted behavioral advertising from many major third-party network advertisers.
If you do disable cookies from your browser you may not be able to access certain sections of the site that use essential cookies, and this may make your experiences on the site less efficient.
We cannot control any third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
G. Do Not Track Requests. Currently, certain browsers, including Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer, offer a “do not track” (DNT) option. This option, using a technology known as a DNT header, sends a signal to websites visited by the user about the user’s DNT preference, if any, set on the browser. We do not currently commit to responding to browsers’ DNT signals. We cannot make this commitment because no common industry standard for DNT has been adopted by industry groups, technology companies, or regulators.
6. SOCIAL SHARING FEATURES
Our site may offer social network and similar sharing features, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube buttons, which let you share information related to the site through your preferred social media platforms. If you permit a connection between our site and your social network page(s), we (and the social network) may be able to identify you, and associate the information we (and they) receive with information we (and they) already have about you. In addition, depending on how you use those features and your settings with the social network provider(s), the information you share to your social network pages will be available to others, including your friends and/or the public. For more information about how your information may be shared through those social networks once it is provided to them, you should review the privacy policies of those social networks.
We also may share certain data with these social networks to allow us to target existing users and customers with relevant advertising. In this situation, we do not share your identification or contact information with anyone. Instead, a unique code is shared with the applicable social network, allowing that code to be matched against existing users of the applicable social network, and to identify potentially relevant audiences for target advertising.
7. OUR SECURITY MEASURES
We use a variety of industry-standard security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information, including measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. We store the personal information you provide on secure (password- and firewall-protected) servers. All electronic financial transactions conducted through our site are protected by encryption technology.
Unfortunately, no electronic data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we believe that we use reasonable measures to protect personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted or otherwise provided to us or received from us.
If you have an account on our site, it is your responsibility for keeping the password confidential. We will never ask for your password (except when you create your account and log into our site).
8. YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
You can always opt out of receiving promotional communications such as our newsletters by selecting the “unsubscribe” link included in any email communications, or by contacting us at us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that despite your email preferences, we may need to contact you regarding outstanding orders, as required by law, or regarding legal matters. However, we will not send you marketing communications if you have opted out of receiving them.
If you have an account on the site, you can access and edit your account information online, by signing into your account and selecting the information you want to edit. You can also edit and update any reviews you have submitted through the site. In addition, you can contact us at any time at email@example.com request that we make any edits to your personal information.
As noted above, we have standard retention practices with respect to the personal data we collect. If you would like to request any earlier removal of your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may not be able to completely remove personal information from the site or our systems in certain circumstances. This will be true if the data is not in a searchable format, if it is retained in backup systems or cashed or archived pages, if we need it to prevent fraud or future abuse, or if we are required by law to keep it.
B. Certain Rights of California Residents. California law permits California residents to request certain details about our disclosure of their personal information to third parties for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes. If are a California resident and you would like to make such a request, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that there are legal limits on how often you can make such a request, and we are only obligated to respond to one information request per customer per year.
9. VISITING OUR SITES FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), whenever you voluntarily give us your personal information, you should understand that your information will be sent by you to the United States, a jurisdiction that does not provide the same framework for the protection of personal information as the EEA. By sending us your personal information, you are expressly consenting to the transfer by you of information from your location within the EEA to our servers in the United States.
10. A NOTE ABOUT CHILDREN
Our site is not targeted to, and we have no interest in collecting information from, children. We do not knowingly gather any personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who believes that your child has provided us with any personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.